|Jursidiction||Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Caribbean, Cayman Islands, Channel Islands, Cyprus, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Jersey, London, Other, Turks & Caicos|
|Job Type||Auditing, Banking, Captive Insurance, Corporate Management, Corporate Recovery, Corporate Secretariat, Financial Accounting, Financial Analyst, Forensic, Funds, Insolvency, IT (Accounting Systems), Management Accounting, Operations, Risk, Tax, Trusts, Wealth Management|
|Date Added||May 8, 2015|
Offshore Accounting & Finance are proud to support Grow Movement and #UGANDA600
Grow Movement is working with London Business School, Stanford Graduate School of Business and the University of Chicago Booth School of Business to evaluate the impact of virtual consultancy on entrepreneur performance in Uganda. This is a groundbreaking academic paper into entrepreneurship in emerging markets. A succesful paper will enable Grow to rapidly expand across the Least Developed World lifting 100,000s of people out of poverty.
For June 2015, Grow Movement will recruit 600 new volunteer consultants to join our existing global network of over 500 business professionals to support this academic research. This is an incredible opportunity to have our work externally validated, enabling Grow to work with policymakers and expand our services rapidly across Africa. For this we need a driven and talented team. Be part of #uganda600.
Why should I volunteer?
Because I want to…
- Make a direct, tangible and sustainable impact. Create employment, enhance the business skills of an entrepreneur and increase profitability.
- Improve my skills. Develop and enhance consulting, cross-cultural communication and coaching skills.
- Gain new knowledge. Learn about different business sectors in an emerging market.
- Be challenged. Consulting via technology to Uganda is not for everyone. The business landscape is very different, data is limited and the usual tools available for business are not readily accessible.
- Experience a fulfilling opportunity that inspires, motivates and refreshes me.
- Connect with like-minded business professionals. Grow has a vast global network of over 500 volunteer consultants.
- Support through skills development rather than aid and handouts.
What impact will I have?
Providing business skills to a micro-entrepreneur by Skype and mobile unlocks their potential. It improves the sustainability of their company, increases their profitability, and creates employment. Many clients go on to share their skills and new-found professional confidence with other budding entrepreneurs in the community.
- 410 completed entrepreneurs
- 719 jobs created from 329 impact assessments
- 2.2 new jobs for every project on average
- 47% companies increased head count
- 16% moved from micro to small companies
- Results from January 2010 to 1 April 2015
What do I have to commit to?
I will commit to…
- A minimum of 40 hours divided into 12, one-hour sessions and two hours of preparation, research and administration for each session.
- Delivering this during June–December 2015.
- Accessing Skype and paying for the cost of calls to a mobile when the internet is not available.
- Being patient, determined and flexible with timings.
- Updating Grow Movement on progress.
Case study: Isaac Mugabe, MIK Designs, Uganda
- 7 new employees and a 50% increase in profit.
- Improvement in operations, marketing, finance and customer care business skills.
- “I feel like my company and I have been reborn after working with Grow Movement. I recommend other people to work with Grow Movement.”
What skills do I need?
I am able to…
- Finance: Analyse financial performance and teach concepts of operating costs, pricing and cash flow.
- Strategy: Review business plans and be confident enough to help expand or improve the business model.
- Marketing: Assess marketing strategies and teach concepts of customer care, loyalty and competition analysis.
- Probing: Find out information without overwhelming clients and check their understanding without asking ‘do you understand?’.
- Language: Speak in an easy, simple fashion rather than using ‘consultant-ese’.
- Creative problem-solving: Be confident in dealing with entrepreneurs that do not have complete data, or sometimes no data at all.
- Flexibility: Be flexible between different styles, including consulting, teaching and coaching in one session.
What experience do I need?
- Minimum of five years commercial experience post-graduation.
- Mentoring, coaching and/or teaching experience.
- Experience with improving business performance; gained during running your own business, as a management consultant, mentoring with small businesses, or working in a corporate environment.
- MBA postgraduate (not whilst studying) or equivalent business/education experience or professional qualification including accountant, lawyer, chartered surveyor, etc.
- Able to communicate by Skype
- Personal or business experience working in Africa, ideally East Africa, would be great but is not a must.
- Fluency in English.
Who are Grow Movement Volunteer Consultants?
Grow Movement consultants consult from 61 countries around the world; 49% UK, 11% USA, 10% Europe and 6% from Africa. 72% are male and ages range from 25 to 70 with an average age of 36.
To find out more or apply to be a volunteer consultant, visit www.growmovement.org/volunteer-consultant or get in touch using the details below.
Claire Jenkins, CEO
Grow Movement @ LBS, Sussex Place,
Regent’s Park, London NW1 4S
TEDx talk: http://youtu.be/K-CEqtGly0s